Our client wanted to validate a few ideas for a website redesign and at the same time learn more about investors with financial advisors who also traded themselves.
The results of our remote research was so interesting that our client wanted us to design a tool to help spread our findings to more roles and departments within the company
Our approach for the research was to speak remotely with 14 advised investors and split the conversations into two parts. Part one was qualitative inquiry around their investing habits and motivations. Part two was reviewing a desktop or mobile app prototype concept to get their feedback on some new ideas.
Our approach for shaping the resulting empathy toolkit was to gather additional existing research and collaborate with other knowledge experts within the company. We then coordinated a beta program for the toolkit to test the content and the toolkit format with designers and engineers. At the same time, we also validated some user assumptions with a quantitative survey of the clients current customer base.
Research Prep and initial hypothesis
Research and synthesis
Modular persona decks
We turned these five user models into individual card decks with three to seven cards each. A designer/engineer/product owner, can then mix and match one card from each deck to explore and consider different investor motivations.
Our initial modular persona cards was so well received with the client team, that they wanted to extend the scope of the kit from just advised investors to all investors. If we succeeded with this, it meant the persona cards would be usefull to a much wider audience within the client's company.
Toolkit and the Beta program
Once we had our modular persona decks updated, we created a full toolkit and developed a beta program to introduce the toolkit to a wider range of employees. The beta program was meant to help us gain more insight around how people might use the toolkit, if it changed how they work through problems and how it might bring people together through collaborative activites and workshops.
For the beta program, we planned and facilitated workshops with different teams to introduce the different ways in which the toolkit could be used. We also provided them with other sample workshop agendas they could run themselves as well as worksheets to help in planning which decks would be most usefull for the particular problem they were trying to work on.
In addition to the employee beta program, we also ran a quantitative research survey with a 300+ group of current customers to see how they might self identify within the different deck models and individual characteristics.
The quantitative research was a great success and gave us numbers to add into the toolkit to bolster it credibitlity with number-focused team members. We also used this data to make further updates and refinements to the different characteristics to make them as accurate as we could.
Rather than delivering a typical set of user personas, we put together a more usefull and accessible design method with a starter set of activitites to help our client and their teams better solve complex problems with their customers needs and motivations in mind.
The participants of the beta program were excited about how the toolkit could change their approach to thinking about their customers as they worked through problems. It also helped create a common vocabulary between the different employee roles (designers, engineers and product owners) to have better conversations about and with their customers.
The toolkit was initially delivered to just the design and some of the product team, but our main stakeholder was so thrilled with the results, she intended to spread the toolkit to more departments in the company including customer service and marketing.